Garwood Earthmovers commenced working in the Strathalbyn district in the 1940's, as a small family business run by Herbert Garwood who began contracting to local people and government departments with a pick and shovel, horse and cart. A steadily expanding business becoming increasingly mechanised able to service new interests including agriculture and quarrying.
Herbert's sons, Graham and Malcolm worked in the business enabling it to expand and diversify right through to the early eighties. Through this period of time there was significant improvements in type, quality and number of equipment available which only enhanced their reputation for being able to tackle jobs considered to be to difficult for other contractors. With approximately 20 pieces of equipment and a steady workforce of six employees they were well suited to serve the local district. In the early eighties Malcolm left to pursue other interestd.
The business now in the control of Graham and his son David is still continuing to grow and diversity with movement into vineyard development with the booming wine industry. Property development and some agriculture interest. The new millenium sees the business well consolidated and still steadily expanding, now with 40 pieces of equipment and a workforce of approximately 8 staff.